Monday, September 13, 2010

Giving Them the Credit

Teaching has never been a job for me.

When speaking of my "work" I always refer to it as "school", primarily because it doesn't truly feel like work. It feels like something more special. Even the word "career" isn't close. It could better be described as "a moral duty by my own consciousness and the Universe." Nah, that's not it either....

With that said, the hardest part of this "job" has always been learning about all of the external fireworks that moonlight as children's lives outside of the school walls. I can take the grading of papers. I can take the 5 lectures per day on the same biologically fascinating concept. I can take the helicopter parent calls. I can take the surprise administration observations.

I cannot take the truth that kids are not immune from the real world.

Currently, I have a myriad of real-life issues that should never even brush the shoulder of a child ranging from teen parenthood, to depression, to suicide, to disability, to harassment, and others (I shudder to think) that I'm not even aware of.

If only we could educate children about these issues without them actually having to have the experience of them. So many of our children are faced with problems that even the most stable of adults couldn't rope a lasso around. And they are supposed to also gain an education and be motivated on a daily basis for such things?

Kids aren't given enough credit for their poise, most of which who never realize the word for it.

1 comments:

Alex G. said...

Damn, I don't know how you deal with all of this

Post a Comment