Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Wound

The snow is falling, yet again. Daytime television is for the birds. Sponge baths are losing their luster. I am beginning my second week in the hospital.

It isn't so bad. I feel as though I am getting the most optimal care at all ends. After 2 surgeries, my infection is close to defeated; leaving a deep hole in its place. Surgeons had to physically remove the infection, taking out dead tissue and leaving a fairly substantial wound in its place.

The battle with the wound is where I sit now. It is now my body's job to repair the disaster that the infection has created. I am really hoping that my body is up to the challenge, because there is a lot of healing required.

I do what I can to aid in the process: intaking loads of protein and pretending that I like meat, staying off of the wound to give it the best environment to heal, and resting my body and attempting the same with my brain.

It is scary to be set back by such a wound... truthfully my life has stopped and will be on hiatus until the wound is gone. This little thing is full of power and control. My every move will be devoted and dedicated to the little wound until it ceases to be a part of me.

Perhaps I will be able to take some time of good reflection and care for myself during this wound vacation. I am going to, absolutely, try to make the most of my life on hold.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Ryan,
Hang in there - we love you. I plan to visit you this weekend if you are up to visitors.
Love you,
A.Ingrid

Post a Comment