Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Take A Swim

Today I realized that my life would be so much more free if I could do it all underwater.

I am up to sitting in my chair for 2 hours now, and figured that it was as good of a time as any to get back in the pool. I haven't been for 6 months. I have never gone this long without swimming in my life, and that is the truth.

There was a lot of anxiety before getting in: Was my butt going to hold in tact while sitting on the edge of the pool (with a cushion)? Did I remember how to freestyle and backstroke? Was I going to be able to get back into my chair post-workout? Could I remember how to socialize with the rest of the world?

The moment my body touched the water, tears began to well up in my goggles. It had been so long since I had been here. I have been through so much. With each stroke I remembered all of the little events that led up to this. All of the good, all of the not-so-good. Stroke. Breathe. Stroke. Breathe.

Swimming is only one of a billion things that will forever remind me of how beautiful life can be. I actually hope that I cry a little bit every time I take a swim.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Ryan,
My tears of joy are with you - so glad you are getting better !
Love you,
A.Ingrid

Fabrizio Zanelli said...

Agree with Ingrid. It's touching to read what you are feeling

Post a Comment