Thursday, January 1, 2009

Take A Queue From The New Year

In a pseudo-honor of our New Year's back in the States, Graham and I decided to go to the "All-American Diner" for an omlette and some pancakes. In fact, as I was sipping my masala tea and dipping my pancakes into the maple syrup I glanced down at the time, 12:09 a.m back in Denver and said a silent "happy New Year" to all of you half a day away.

This diner, situated within the India Habitat Centre had the whole diner theme down to a science... complete with ruby red booths, Beatles memorabilia, and chocolate malts with bendy straws. After our stomachs were satisfied, we headed out of the Centre only to step out into a surprise of the longest queue I have ever witnessed, especially in India.

Now one thing that the Indians do not do well is stand in lines. I had to learn this the hard way the last trip as I was virtually trampled to buy a movie ticket or to buy some crackers at the local provision (grocery) store. You learn rather directly that you push your way to the position of whatever counter you need to be at. There is no hostilitity in this moment; however, it is just how things are done here. So in seeing a line, not to mention a line that stretched beyond my own vision was something I had to explore.

Graham and I walked down the street, with great intent and silence, alongside this line of eternal people for what must have been half of an hour. We walked through main stretchways, down alleyways, next to several shantys, all the while taking in every step of it.

It was rare to see one of those in line with shoes on, almost everyone was barefoot. There was some chatter, especially once we were in view, but for the most part it felt so serene. I felt the sense of importance and dedication that this line stood for. Men, women, and some children held freshly-cut flowers, mostly brilliant orange marigolds. Some flowers were captured in plastic bags, others were placed, more strategically, in homemade woven baskets. This appeared to be some sort of offering. This whole experience was obviously spiritual.
It was spiritual to me.

Eventually, we arrived at what everyone was waiting for. The people began to disappear in this temple that was covered mostly by tarped awnings and strung marigolds. The essence of this place was magically and exuded color and warmth. There were the politest of beggers outside that would limp to the side to allow me through. Graham and I only spent a few minutes here because we, of course, were terribly out of place and sought to offer no disrespect.

We then grabbed an auto-rickshaw to make it halfway around the city and back again before nightfall. Throughout those journeys came more queues to other temples of worship. We even were privy to a celebration and parade in the honor of Ganesha, the god of protection, and one of my favorites.

All in all, a quite successful start to a new year. There are many great things yet to take place this year, so I've been told...

0 comments:

Post a Comment