Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Light At the End Of the Tunnel Comes From Within

Having little success in changing the mind of the big bully business masked as simple health care, I am now forced to come to terms with the fact that Craig Hospital will NOT be a part of my recovery plan.

Kaiser, being stubborn and proud, could not comprehend how somewhere like Craig Hospital could possibly be able to perform at heights or lengths beyond themselves. Perhaps one day I can change their minds... but in the meantime I am preparing for surgery next Wednesday, the 29th.

At first I was rather scared and apprehensive about my proposed plan of action, being one that includes a "get rid of it at all costs" sort of approach. At the cost of my current sitting posture? Yes. At the cost of potential use of extremity muscles in the future? Absolutely.

Frightened, I tried desperately to wheel-and-deal with the plastic surgeon to try to find some kind of a happy medium. Though, as he quickly explained in a less than soothing manner, that if we skimp on any one part of the procedure, my likelihood of returning to this current state is inevitable.

I agree.

So here I am, the last day hooked up to that once disgusting, now calming wound VAC of mine. The plastic surgeon is taking it off today to prepare the wound for surgery-- by sticking a bleach solution in it to clean it. GROSS!

As for my job, I tend to remain the luckiest girl in the world. In speaking with the new principal, it has been decided that I can continue the leave I began in the spring, and I will do so through the first semester. I will return to my latest kiddos in January. Much longer than I would have hoped, but at least I will be able to be a half of this school year! The extra time will also provide me with a much needed breath from all of the stress and turmoil this little infection has caused me.

With a settling mind and a strong sense of patience, I will get through this all before I know it. It will soon be a memory of things not so bad. That is how it always works-- those memories of past sadness and distress fade to those things that are much more warm and precious to remember. I look forward to that.

0 comments:

Post a Comment