Thursday, February 11, 2010

Three Cups of Me

You know that question where you are supposed to decide on one person that you'd like meet, no matter the era or locale? Until just recently, I have never found a soul to completely fulfill that specified question.

After becoming mesmerized throughout the pages of "Three Cups of Tea," I discovered the work of Greg Mortenson and became enamored. He is a man who understands the value of education and the global impact that it can have when the specific efforts are applied. What's more, is that he took that understanding and created a tangible and proactive organization that has blossomed over the past decade or so.

So, not only did I come to find my answer to that question; but the reality of that scenario actually occurred before I really had a chance to imagine how it would even play out.

Yesterday I, with the persistence of my new, yet dear friend Christiane, found myself at an event where tea was the scaffolding for creating bonds and inspiring communities. Rubbing my eyes several times in disbelief, I sat among the graceful and the powerful and the charitable. Greg Mortenson flowed through the room, so light on his feet-- astonishing for someone of his grand stature. Not missing a smile, he moved around the room shaking hands and making acquaintances. As he neared my table, my heart began to shove the blood, rather forcefully, through my extremities and up to my head. It was trying so desperately to give me a better ability for intelligence.

Finally, he made it. A good friend of mine, Dave, sat next to me as my confidant for the day. He was the first approached by Mr. Mortenson. They shook and exchanged. It was now my turn...

"Hello," he said with giant hand outstretched.

"Hi, you already signed my book." Was the only thing that came out.

"Oh. And what is your name?"

"Ryan."

"Pleased to meet you, Ryan." And with apparently nothing more to say, made so by my indifferent-seeming answers, he left.

Seriously? Was that all I had to say? What about all of the questions that I have pondered for months on end about the inter-workings of his organization and the future of expansion into other territories and the concept of global education and all of the billions of other things that have kept me awake at night bouncing from synapse to synapse? What went wrong? Why couldn't I have come up with something, anything to say?

But that is when I realized, it wasn't to be that way. For that instant, he was sensationalized. He was a rockstar and I was a groupie. There was no room for a meeting of the minds in this concert hall. I was in no place to conjure up the greatest part of this man, and nor would I ever. And that is okay. I don't need to express to him neither love nor gratitude. I don't need to beg him questions.

What I need is to continue to learn and grow from those people around me, however close or far. I will take in little parts from each to create my own whole. I have no need to become someone that already exists, for that is far too overplayed. I will, though, take Greg Morteson's wisdoms and graces and courages and impulses to carry my own self to wherever it is that this soul might travel next.

0 comments:

Post a Comment