Sunday, June 29, 2008

Nothing Ever Happens On Sundays

This is what I am figuring out. Much like life works in hospitals in the States. So today the 3 Amigas charged through the hospital doors with a destination in mind: market shopping.

We walked from the hospital down a few blocks, stopping only to realize that we have no real destination in sight. After ending up in a plaza primarily reserved by a man showering and others receiving hair cuts in the street, we retreated deciding that it was way to intimate of a start. From there we hailed a rickshaw, (Erin doing the haggling for an appropriate white girl fee), and headed to the center of Delhi--a haven for shops, dining, and more touristy and comfortable beginnings for us.

Shopping was fun. The heat didn't bother us much aside from continually having to wipe foreheads and chug water.

Our adventures were supposed to cease as we hailed yet another rickshaw to return home. I was just about dying for a toilet at this point and I wasn't feeling quite Indian enough yet to do as the locals do (pee on a nearby building). One benefit to our return rickshaw: it was incredibly speedy to aid in the prevention of kidney reflux. One disadvantage to our return rickshaw: I thought I was going to die, so it really didn't matter what state my bladder was in. It was like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, but far more wild and a bit more toady. I have never seen or been privy to such maneuvers in a vehicle in my whole life...I know, hard to believe. We were on the road. We were off the road. We were on the wrong side of the road. We were on the median. We were lodged between a car and a mule. We were everywhere.

India is great. So far I have two favorite things. The first thing is VEG or NON-VEG. This option virtually applies to everything! The second thing is lizards. I saw a very tiny lizard on the hospital lift this morning which quickly achieved Honorable Mention on my list of cool things to write about.

If I am boring you to death, you may want to check out both Erin and Sarah's blogs and their perspectives of these experiences and others like them:
http://www.yourerinfix.blogspot.com/
http://europeansarahwilson.blogspot.com/

0 comments:

Post a Comment