Monday, June 30, 2008

The Waiting Game

Still no Dr. Shroff and still no treatment. She should be back in town tomorrow says the sisters... but I feel like I've heard that one before. No worries, I will just continue to pretend I am on vacation. That cerebral concoction I do quite well.

Today was more markets and more sweat and urine-soaked street walking. We managed to make it to 3 different markets and all feel quite skilled at loading and unloading a wheelchair from an auto-rickshaw.

I bought my first authentic Indian garment today, a KURTA--which is basically my favorite invention. It's not exactly a shirt but it's not really a dress either. The 3 of us spent about 2 hours tornadoing through Fabindia, a marvelous shop. I chose to make my purchase on feel rather than sight. I am pretty confident that I petted nearly 200 kurtas before making my decision.

Later that day on the way home, Sar and I stopped at Green Park Market near our hospital to buy some dish soap. We ended up with some great dish soap along with the new "Sex and the City" movie, "Juno", some animal documentary, and a fabulous Indian love story (assured the clerk,immediately seeing the romantic in me.) Each flick was about $3US. I am pretty sure that isn't legal.

Speaking of immediately seeing into people: Indians have a terribly uncanny way of seeing into you. They mostly don't say a word, but instead look at you... or through into you. It is incredibly frightening and wondrous all at the same moment. I wish I could do that.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ryan! I just read your blog...it brought back lots of memories of India. Try the Samosas and the lime soda! My skype login is ChristineBlackmon. I tried to call you but you were out, probably on the town. I'll try again and you do the same.

Big hugs
Chris

Post a Comment