Monday, December 22, 2008

A Brief Update

I seem to be almost getting back into the swing of things, gaining my barrings, getting my sea legs back.... I have physio at 9am and 2pm.

During the 9 o'clock session I do normal mat stretches and exercises reminiscent of the ones I did in the summertime. Chavi thinks that I can flex my right hamstring and left inner thigh... but I am yet to be so convinced. I suppose that Graham thinks so too--he taped it for you all, so you would decide for yourself. He is becoming quite the camera man, hopefully to all of your likings (minus the sideways video shots). In addition to the normal stretches, Chavi has me get on the floor on a mat to do some yoga poses on all fours, along with crawling and kneeling.

At 2pm I come back down refreshed after an inventive veg-lunch, ready to walk. Yesterday I walked more than I ever had in my calipers. Four times down and back with some backwards walking and side-stepping mixed in. I was extremely wobbly and sore afterwards, but at least it is a start. Today's walking session was much better--I walked this morning because I have my first procedure in about 20 minutes.

Graham and I will be hopping in a taxi shortly to head over to Gautam Nagar Hospital to join Dr. Ashish in my first procedure. From what I remember, it is a short procedure of only lying flat for 5 hours while they prime my spinal cord for the rest of my stay here in Delhi. We are in the middle of packing up our books, music, and pillows to prepare for the long day ahead.

On a side note... Dr. Ashish and Dr. Sudeep have joined forces in finding me a swimming pool, since it is far too COLD for outdoor pools to be open this time of year (you've got to be kidding me!). Anyways, I appreciate their compassion for my addiction and hopefully we will all be successful in finding me an indoor oasis for this month's stay.

Tomorrow is Christmas Eve and it feels like all of the patients are getting ready for their departure home. The staff here is very good at dressing this place up like a winter wonderland and I am extremely excited to spend Christmas Day with all of my friends here. There is also a huge party scheduled for the 27th where all of the staff are to perform for us... which I am dying to see! I love this place.



9 comments:

Katie W said...

The second video is amazing!! I'm going to have to agree with Graham and Chavi!

Skins USA said...

Ryan,
This is amazing to watch. Merry Christmas, I hope you enjoy your time there, we will talk soon.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Graham for the awesome videos!! Ryan, you look amazing. It's quite an early present to behold. Merry Christmas!!!

Anonymous said...

Ry,
You really can't see it yourself? You are out of your mind. Thats amazing!!!! Merry Christmas to you and Graham, looking to hear about more updates!!! :)
Love you,
Kels~

sass_on_wheels said...

graham is a regular videographer... KEEP IT UP!!

sass_on_wheels said...

in case you guys get really bored: http://www.hulu.com/watch/49587/howard-the-duck

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOSH RYAN! You completely moved your foot! you bent your knee and moved your foot!!! I screamed when I saw the second video and called my whole family to come up to watch. This is so amazing you are doing so great!

The third video of you walking is also incredible! Your walking has gotten so much better since the videos from over the summer, which were also INCREDIBLE!

Thanks for the videos Graham, keep them coming! Hope you two had a merry Christmas!!

Rachy Rach said...

It may seem like a tiny miracle, but does it not remain to be just that?!?! I enjoyed this video because its so real. No CGI or special effects!! Stay positive and focused..i want to see the sequel!!

Anonymous said...

Ryan! It's Meredith Rose from Creek...
My mom found your article in the Denver Woman magazine and gave it to me when I was in Colorado for Christmas. I've always wondered how you were progressing and reading the article made me so extremely proud of you! I'm now managing an Oncology/Hematology office in California and work with a physician that does stem cell transplants for our cancer patients - though it seems that the procedures are very different from what you are going through. I'm so excited I found your blog and will be cheering for you back in the US.

You are truly an inspiration to us all!

Post a Comment