Saturday, December 20, 2008

One of the greatest things about New Delhi is the fact that you can jump in an auto-rickshaw and literally go market to market to find all of your necessary goods... though it is never quite done on time nor without some great life lesson and ridiculous adventure.

In just two days, Graham and I have already traveled from Palika Bazaar to Connaught Place to Janpath Market to Visant Vihar to Sarojini Nagar Market and to India Gate. We are busy kiddos. One of the most interesting aspects of it all is how I am so admittedly stared at. Personally, I'd like to consider it due to my overflowing charm and emanating beauty, but really I believe it has more to do with my fair skin and accompanied wheels.


It is almost like we are celebrities, getting our photos taken conspicuously by shiny cell phones and shaking hands with groups of young men as they watch us in the most mundane of activities.


Getting around New Delhi isn't much of a feat for me, namely because I pay little mind to those who stare and employ the rest for help up sharp curbs and over swiss cheese-like sidewalks.

That is the thing I love about Indians, they are so willing to help out and ask for nothing in return... unless they are a beggar, but even then they will help you in an instance, free of charge. The people here simply just want to know about you and know you. They are caring people with amazing hearts and souls that flow so much like the surrounding humid air. This place will never cease to thrill me or capture a piece of me either.

2 comments:

sass_on_wheels said...

you look really happy in that top photo from a rickshaw. (graham, however, looks like he's about to take a dump)

Unknown said...

Hi Ryan - love the pictures. Derek is an Uncle,and I am a great Aunt. To Jace Patrick Stephens born 12-19-08 @ 9:37pm 8pds 9oz. 21.5 inches. Amber and Christian Stephens are the parents. Enjoy your stay in India. The weather is very cold here. I love to read your postings. Lots of Love from Colorado.- A. Ingrid

Post a Comment