Sunday, December 13, 2009

Day 10

What a perfect night for stargazing. Not only was the sky clear of hovering clouds and other weather, tonight was considered the best time for viewing the Geminid meteor shower.

From what I read, the meteor shower was going to be best viewed after 10pm, so shortly after the evening news began I hopped in my car and headed up the hill. I stationed my car at Pence Park, which is only a mile or so from my house and probably the highest point in Indian Hills. Finally putting my sunroof to good use, it was no longer considered the equivalent of a hood ornament.

The night sky has always had an eerie affect over me. There is so much wisdom felt in such a void atmosphere. I absolutely love watching the stars. My eyes get caught on the tiny flickers and my mind gets lost in the spaces in between. I could have sat there for hours. When observing the canopy of stars above, I can only acknowledge how small and insignificant I really am. Now, this isn't a discouraging thought to me. Rather, it is so encouraging to know how much is really out there and how much I have yet to explore. At that very minute, there were eyes from all over the world gazing at the same open sky. Fascinating!

I am only one of many. However, I often think of myself as one of those stars that I gaze upon. Although I may appear as all the others, twinkling in beat, without so much as a flicker different from all the rest. As you get closer to the space in which those stars actually reside, that is when it is made apparent that none of those shining objects are the same. They aren't the same size, same distance from the Earth, and they are not even the same sort of star. Some stars are near death, the end of their journey and the end of glowing brightly for us to wish on. Some stars are rather large and swelling, only to prepare for its eternal demise a few million years from now.

We are all so much more different than we appear from afar. We all have different makeups that create our sparkle. We all come from somewhere else and we are all in different stages of our shine.

The stars above come together every single night to drape the sky in constellations of forgotten times. They are always twinkling and shining no matter the stage or outcome it may have. I suppose that I wish I actually were more like a star. My strength and determination would be shown every single night, without fail, and the world could be watching in awe of the brilliance that I display surrounded by so many others.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ryan, I think that you could turn your entire Blog into a best selling novel! I could definitely see it on my bookshelf with my other inspiring books that I have highlighted and read over and over. Thank You!

Tracy

Post a Comment