Saturday, December 19, 2009

Day 16

Sometimes I think it is good to try out different hats in our lives. Even if the hat doesn't really fit, it is pretty amazing to learn how it feels while you're wearing it.

Today I wore the hat of a vegan. After a complete soy breakfast, I actually thought to myself, "This isn't bad at all." Boy, was I in for it.

By about 11 o'clock I was dying for a finger-full of cookie dough as I sat there--craving and helpless-- cleaning out the small bits that had been stuck to the bowl. I always lick the bowl clean! But, it's okay, you see... I am learning.

Lunchtime came and went without my ability to directly participate. I met some friends for lunch at an Asian grill, thinking that it would probably be the best bet for me finding something that I could order. I was dead wrong. When asking the cashier, she was quick to tell me that NOTHING on their menu was vegan. Hmm... so much for lunch. Luckily, afterwards, a quick stroll took me through the parking lot to Whole Foods where I stocked up on nutritious and animal-free goodies to last me through the rest of the day.

I suppose the biggest thing that I learned today had nothing to actually do with being vegan. However, it taught me more about being cognizant of the foods that I choose to put in my mouth. I actually really liked having to work so hard to get food, it made the meals that I ate more worthwhile. I also thought a lot about the people that don't necessarily have a lot of food easily accessible: those with Celiac disease, the lactose intolerant, those that struggle with money, and people who live with limited agricultural resources.

Overall, trying on a new hat today gave me a great insight to food in general. I am not sure that I will ever decide to eat strictly vegan again, but I do hope to continue to be that aware... of it all.

0 comments:

Post a Comment