Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Day 5

I think I set my sights a bit too high today... but nonetheless, yet another eye-opening, mind-massaging experience.

Today's plan was to pick up Ayn Rand's, "Atlas Shrugged" and read it all the way through. For those who are unaware, this epic novel is over 1000 pages and in teeny-tiny microscopic font. As I mentioned before, I aimed for the sky and ended up somewhere around the foothills. Oh well.

Simply just being able to take an entire day to read is a strange notion in and of itself. The only events that interrupted my wonder of, "Who is John Galt?" was eating, driving, exercise therapy, and going to the bathroom... Otherwise, I literally spent all of today reading.

The story is a complex tale with underlying messages of the meaning of life, which I found to be extremely appropriate in a time like this. Even though I didn't manage cover-t0-cover, I learned a few things. 1) That just because a project doesn't reach its goal on time, doesn't mean it is for loss. The journey of climbing to your goal is really what makes all the difference, and 2) having the ability to dedicate an entire day to one task is both daunting and quite beautiful.

0 comments:

Post a Comment