Sunday, December 6, 2009

Day 3

Sometimes everyone needs a little encouragement or even a simple statement to put them facing the right direction. This was my inspiration today.

The job of deciding upon a daily task is getting increasingly stressful, I confess rather regrettably. However, this sort of stress comes from a very positive and enlightened place and I thoroughly welcome it. With that said, it took me until about 1pm today to even decide on my chosen experience. Once I did, however, I was off and running!

Armed with sticky notes, a red marker, and the encapsulated knowledge of inspired individuals I began my quest to enable those that crossed my path to be affirmed with strength, love, determination, and motivation. I chose many of my favorite quotes, and many that I have never even heard before and wrote them down-- one quote per sticky note. Vigorously writing, I must have made nearly 2-dozen miniature signs of support.

Throughout my day today, I left my mark--so to speak-- everywhere I journeyed. These quotes now display themselves in grocery store ATM machines, car windows, store walls, the gym bathroom, and various other locales around the Denver Metro area. The task of displaying these quotes almost became a sort of game to me, trying desperately to remain anonymous the whole way through. (This made extremely difficult by the fresh layer of white snow in every parking lot, marking my every tire track.)

Every time I left a sticky note I felt so curious about those soon-to-be-viewers of them. I wondered things about their reactions: If the viewer would smile, if the viewer would be in need of such a message, if the viewer would take it with them, or if the viewer might not even notice at all. These thoughts kept me energized all day long, so, in fact, that I have plans of continuing this project so long as it makes me feel contributory. Who knows, maybe you might see one of those quotes and, with a smile, think, "hey, I needed that" and slide it into your pocket to remember for awhile.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think everyone needs a little "sticky note" every now and then.

Anonymous said...

that's a wonderful idea! i've always considered posting sticky notes anonymously around town but it hasn't come to frutition... yet. if i'm going to do it soon and in jerusalem, it'll be a challenge to my hebrew skills :) thanks for sharing, i enjoy reading your posts!
--laneia

Anonymous said...

crying after a tough day of school at cherry creek high school, iran into a bathroom and locked myself in the stall. i looked up and written on the wall was "you are beautiful"
i stopped crying and went back to class with determination.

ps, i miss you! i hear all about what you're doing from jordan and i have some stories to share! i'd love to talk to you soon! =]
-mackenzie pearce

Post a Comment