Friday, December 11, 2009

Day 8

Meditation has been an aspect of life for many cultures around the world for many ages. So many times have I attempted meditation... I even took a full-blown semester course on the subject in hopes that I could learn to understand this practice more.

Somehow I have always seemed to land short of a complete meditative experience. "Meditation For Dummies" didn't help. Trying it with soothing drops of essential oils didn't help. Guided meditations didn't work. Was I really a lost cause??

Today I was determined to cure my meditationosis once and for all. Perhaps it was the determination that led me to this point, or perhaps it was just a long time coming. Whatever the reason, it seemed to work better than I have known thus far.

I prepared by setting the mood with some calming soundscapes in the background, made a fire in my woodstove, and laid out my heavy-duty yoga mat. I decided that lying on my stomach was the best position for a non-contemplative, open mind. After taking the battery out of my phone and turning the lights down low, I was left only with my breath.

In, out, in, out, in, out...

Time appears to float away when your thoughts have too. After about an hour, I began with one eye and then the other. Looking around the shadows on the wall, I felt a sense of refresh and lightness. I finished out my session with the only appropriate dessert: yoga.

I consider this a start to many more practices. Maybe "Meditation For Dummies" can become some nice kindling for future sessions in front of the fireplace... or maybe I'll hold off for now. I can't possibly consider myself completely ready for every meditative journey. However, I have now learned that, ironically enough, it took the right mindset to complete release that very same mindset.

0 comments:

Post a Comment