Monday, August 11, 2008

Following Procedures When Screwing Around

Tomorrow we had some big plans to celebrate Erin's last day in Smelly Delhi... We were to venture off to Old Delhi, the more northern, crowded, dirty, yet painfully authentic part of this giant city. There are many famous sites, including the Red Fort, the fairly famous Jama Masjid Mosque, and a market called Chandi Chowk (not for the faint at heart, so I am told).

However, in the spirit of all things Indian, I just found out that I am to have a procedure tomorrow at the Gautam Nagar Hospital. This procedure is a "simple" one-day procedure, or at least that is the last word I heard on it. From my knowledge, this procedure is going to be quite similar to the very first one that I had, only this time in a different area of my spine. (Last time it was down at the absolute base of my spinal column). If I had to guess, I would say that Dr. Ashish, the guru visionary of stem cell procedure, would inject somewhere near my T5 injury-- the injury that I sustained due to a stroke shortly after my initial spinal cord injury of L1/2. I think that he is bound and determined to direct cells towards that missing link of vascularity that is keeping all the lights out on that block of vertebrae.

Right now, the real goal in terms of getting back lost function would be to increase the blood supply to the area between T5 and L1 were it was suffocated and lost. It is amazing because it really would only take one new cell to complete the circuit to send the blood rushing back in. Once this happens, the entire area--both motor and sensory--should be completely restored. We are all placing bets on this you see because both Dr. Shroff and Dr. Ashish state that it will happen quite suddenly and without any regard for my surprise. Maybe it will happen here. Maybe it will happen while I am swimming. Maybe it will happen in my sleep. Maybe it will happen a year from now. Maybe it will happen in the middle of a thunderstorm. Maybe it will happen on a slow boat to China. Maybe it will happen.

For now, I work on the things that are present and controllable, like shopping... and eating... and laughing... and exercise... and screwing around.

1 comments:

Emily said...

the one pose that sar and erin are doing is kind of like the crap that sar use to make me do. we would do acrobatics or at least try where i would fly on/off her legs!

Post a Comment