Saturday, August 9, 2008

Meeting In Drops of Water

Everybody needs a support system to be able to keep a steady, forward motion in their lives. This support generally comes from the people that are closest to them and reverberates outward just like drops of water will on the surface of the many resting drops that had already before.

Just to be able to take this leap to India and to be strong enough to test my will everyday could have only been successful through the help of the hundreds of people in my life. I have so many people that are carrying me through this experience that I feel that I am already walking on my own.

The remarkable thing, however, is that I relished in all of you people in my life as I headed over oceans to reach this place... but I never in a million years thought that I would gain even more people in my life to help along the way. I suppose it is true that friends will always find you, and that result of a single drop of water can leave quite a lasting result if you let it.

Receiving daily emails and phone calls and blog comments have been absolutely crucial to my progress, but so has the real-time development of friendships and those new memories. I never realized just how much I would need love here as well.

I owe so much to all of the other patients (like Michael) at the hospital, to be able to communicate the few words that you can string together to actually attempt to make sense of this crazy ride, is so important. Sometimes you can't help but to feel all alone in terms of emotion, until you go down the hall and knock on the door of a friend that is feeling the most similar of fears and hopes as well.

There is also something really to be said about the staff here. If I were to try to name them all I would just end up with an entire list of the crew here at Green Park and Gautam Nagar, and with a lot of spelling mistakes. I owe it to the doctors, the physiotherapists, the sisters, the ward boys, the receptionists, to everyone that continues to smile when I may not want to.

Vandana has been especially formative in my development here. She pushes me to a level of progressive discomfort. She is honest, but never brash. She is the most reliable person I think I have ever met. She will tell it as she sees it, and is always willing to listen to my silly suggestions. She has grown to love us gals, even though she fought it hard at first. We make each other laugh everyday as she helps me across the parallel bars and stretches the most unstretchable of bodies (I suppose minds too, at times). I actually know that she has no clue about the impact she is leaving inside of me.
Lets get PHYSIO, PHYSIO!

I feel that I am gaining so much out of this experience aside from what I had originally set my sights on. As my body is reconnecting from the inside out, my mind and newest loved ones are connecting from the outside in.

0 comments:

Post a Comment