Friday, August 1, 2008

Manic Monday

Monday I will be having yet another procedure at Gautam Nagar. This procedure is the lumbar puncture, where from the sounds of it, I will be having stem cells injected directly into my spinal cord at a very large quantity over the course of one day.

I've been given a lot of advice from the other patients who have already previously received this procedure. For the most part I am told NOT to move my head or neck at all for the entire time... no matter what I do. This portion of the procedure is going to be quite challenging for me considering I can barely sit in the same position in my chair for a forever-feeling 5 minutes, let alone lie (inverted again) completely flat with no adjustments whatsoever from my cervical region. The problem is that, as the cells are injected into my spine, they will travel around, presumably throughout the cerebral spinal fluid looking for a new home. If there is a change in pressure, say from me rotating my head around, that can result in a fairly damaging headache with a side order of nausea-- or so I have been told.

I am not really nervous about the procedure nor the side effects. I am, however, looking forward to another chance at bombarding my innards with potent cells that are capable of transforming life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment