Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Importance of The Toe Wiggle

The importance of toe wiggle doesn't lie in the actual act of the toe wiggle. You reading this may disagree and even, perhaps, think I may need a good stem cell shot to the head... but allow me to explain:

I can hardly begin to describe to you the pressure that one is put under to wiggle one's toes. It is like having final exams on the same day as your arranged marriage. There is also some sort of unspoken necessity of this act as well. As if your head may fall off if you cannot perform the action when commanded to. If you are not good enough to do this trick on command, it simply must be because you aren't THINKING about it properly.

As you can probably already tell, I have not been thinking, acting, nor performing properly.

All of this can lead to a lot of frustration if you let it...which I have had until recently. I think that this frustration was written all over my face in Day-Glo paint, a neon sign, a bullhorn, and some fireworks.

Dr. Ashish, not only has a good handle on my emotions because I see him quite frequently (while he stabs me with inappropriately large needles), but he is also an avid reader of my blog-- always chuckling about our crazy adventures. Sensing my frustration, I had an extremely eye-opening conversation with him about my progress. During the conversation I was explained the aggressive nature of the toe wiggling concept.

Once there is a connection established that extends all the way down from your higher brain to your toes, no matter the size of the connection, the stem cells can recreate the strength of that neural pathways. So even if there is only one neuron firing down to the toes, with the aid of stem cells, an entirely new functional spinal cord can be established. It all makes sense now. Of course that would be the best enthusiastic sign of remarkable progress. Once the toe wiggling is present, there is great confidence that the injected stem cells will then find their way to that connection and continue to rebuild and reconnect other networks that are flawed or sparse or completely absent.

Understanding the method behind the madness a little more, I now practicing the attempt of toe wiggling with hope and care... and little regard for frustration and defeat.

0 comments:

Post a Comment