Friday, July 25, 2008

Clown Car Equivalent:

Tonight was yet another first. We decided to venture out to dinner, no news there--even the sisters and ward boys don't expect us to be around in the evenings anymore--but we took another patient with us.

Dinner was great and we had quite a few laughs as our group is continually gaining members. BUT the excitement really started as we all headed home for the evening. Let's do the math:

5 People
2 Wheelchairs

The tricky part of this was that Sarah and Erin had to get their own rickshaws to eventually end with slumber in their respective quarters and the rest of us needed to report back to Green Park for BP readings and sugarplums dancing in our heads. So what else is there to do but stuff (yes, stuff) 3 people and 2 wheelchairs into the same rickshaw?!

It went rather smoothly (honestly, Dad, it did.) We managed to squeeze my wheels in a sort of cargo area behind us, although the cargo area refused to fit my wheels without a fight. The other wheeler's at our feet. Next went my wheelchair frame over laps... then the other frame extended partially over mine... and a cherry on top. Presto! We've done the unbelievable. There is nothing you can't accomplish in India!


Standing was good today. It is getting less sweaty, which is all that I can say about that. I am still working really hard at getting my hips to push through forward. Tonight Kanako gave me a specialized Physio session where I had many physical urges to tear up from the stretching and massaging--Thai style. Yikes! I will be standing tall in no time with that sort of manipulation.

We are going to attempt to wake up early tomorrow morning (in about 5 and a half hours) to go swimming so that we can get to Physio and then head for an overnight trip to Agra. We will be awe-struck at dawn--courtesy of the Taj Mahal, aren't you jealous?

P.S. The sky was blue for about 2 hours early this evening for the first time since I have been here. It sort of made my heart sink from missing the beautiful Colorado sky, but besides that I am taking it as a good gesture.

3 comments:

David Decker said...

It sounds like you are having quite the adventure so far! Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Wow, the Taj Mahal. What a wonderful dream come true.

Anonymous said...

I want to be in India going to the Taj.

Post a Comment