Monday, July 7, 2008

Surprise!!

Everything that happens here comes as a surprise. No matter how much you try to plan your day out, it never quite turns out the way you've imagined. I think I (secretly) really like that part of it all; no matter how frustrating and upside-down it may seem to make things, surprises are always welcomed. They are what remind you to live.

Today I awoke with a forwarded message from a reporter from a Canadian newspaper doing a story specifically on Dr. Shroff. She wanted an interview simply to dig deeper into the real people behind all of the talk. The reporter was a strikingly beautiful woman originally from Pakistan. She was very easy to talk to, and ended up giving us great advice on where to buy simple staples of our world: orange nail polish and the like.

Keeping with the current theme, I was also told that I was to have my first procedure this week. Trying to nail down the details (which I already knew was going to be difficult, getting a precise answer and all) I asked nearly everyone that I could find this morning. Until I found the ultimate of ultimate, the queen bee, the big kahuna, the mothership... Dr. Shroff. She informed me that my procedure was to be on Wednesday. Good, Wednesday.

By nightfall, I was informed now by a few more sources that my procedure is scheduled for tomorrow. So much for knowing anything. I think from now on I am just going to invite the practice of winging it more.

(By the way, this first procedure that I am to have will take place at a hospital close by. The reasoning is, not because it is a surgery, simply because it is a procedure involving the spine... my spine. From the sounds of it it works much like an epidural, except in reverse. They will be injecting cells straight into the outer, protective layer of my spinal cord known as the myelin sheath. So, with hope it will bring about sensation, not take it away.)

From everyone that I've talked to, this should be a big-deal kind of day. Since I haven't had any "earth shattering" progress yet, everyone is sure that this procedure will make a marked difference for me. Fingers crossed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment