Saturday, July 19, 2008

An Update Of All Those Things

At least 4 times a day you can hear me remark, "Ooh, remind me to blog about THAT!" Though so much is lost out of my head before I return to the computer. It's sad really to not be perfectly able to document this experience online the way that it is in my head. Actually when I think of it, that is probably for the best.

Anyways, to recap...

In terms of Physio, I have taken a total of 6 "steps" in a row, successfully accomplished today. Now when I say steps I mean wild, Elvis gyrations from the hips that cause my braced-up legs to follow suit. So I suppose we can still call them steps, right? Standing in my calipers is probably one of the hardest jobs I have to do right now. The calipers themselves hold my legs extended properly, so that isn't an issue. The issue is, however, the fact that my hips are tight and my trunk and back are weak. When I attempt to stand on my own, my bootie jets out and my upper body sort of caves. I have to make a HUGE effort to straighten my body appropriately. This, alone, causes my sweat glands to cry huge tears all over my face and neck. This is hard work, folks.

Swimming is becoming easier each day. My hips are flowing with my stroke much easier... in fact, I can swim a lot more butterfly. The new strength in my hips allows those stinkin' hips to actually help me out a bit on that dreaded stroke. Sarah watched overhead one day and commented that my hips were even coming out of the water, you know, that undulation.

Kanako arrives in only a few days and I am really thrilled to have her. We are going to be a full-house over in room 208 during the days, but I anticipate a lot of fun. I am really excited to show her all of the wonderful quirks and breathtaking charms of our adventures thus far. As Kanako joins us I will be saying goodbye to Sarah as a roommate, for she is renting an apartment down the road (about 20 minutes via auto-rickshaw, on a good day.) It will be sad to lose her as a roomie because I think that we have done quite well together in these cramped living quarters. We have always been very good at accentuating each others' positives and curbing any failed attempts. It will be a crazy transition, but I think of it more as my most favorite rendition of musical chairs.

I have my procedure beginning on Monday, as far as I know. I haven't heard many other details besides what I have already relayed. Probably the only thing that will be troublesome for me during this procedure is the fact that I will be sans shower for 5 WHOLE DAYS! Yuck.

We've all been delving into Hindi a bit... and this I try very hard. I am terrible with languages in general, but I really like the reaction to my endeavor. Impressingly enough, I can let people know that I am fine, I can tell the rickshaw to go right or left, and I can tell passersby that I am sorry after I run over their foot. There is also a very distinct cultural head-bob that I have acquired within the last few days. Oh, my poor students this fall...

Tonight almost all the patients and caregivers in the hospital went out for a super fancy dinner. Some had steak (real beef), others had fish, and most had brilliantly skillful dessert. Everyone was able to learn more about each other and have a bit of fun and appetite while doing it. I had a great time! It really helps this whole process to be surrounded by such good company. I knew that when I decided to come to India that it was important for me to bring that great support system that I have from home, but I never really even thought that I might make another one here!

0 comments:

Post a Comment