Friday, July 4, 2008

Googly Moogly and Other Fine Remarks

Googly Moogly is the term that I used to describe what is more commonly known as "Delhi Belly." I prefer this term because it is actually far more indicative to what it feels and sounds like to have this international gastrointestinal delight. Googly Moogly hasn't hit a home run yet, in fact, he is still warming up in the bullpen...

Aside from unearthly bodily functions today has been pretty exciting to say the least. This morning I was injected with my first official dose of stem cells. They injected roughly 40ccs into my right hand, directly to the vein. This was sort of a pivotal moment, although I think that I was trying to defer it at the time. It wasn't until my next injection that I had just before dinner that sort of spun me. Maybe it was the fact that they injected me this time twice, once in each thigh, intramuscularly. For those of you having trouble picturing it, they jabbed the syringe at a 90-degree angle straight into my thigh. As this jabbing proceeded I felt as though my muscles were tightening and my legs were full. NOW, this is where it gets sort of cloudy. I know what it feels like to feel my legs. I did it for over 16 years. So when I see a needle poking down into my muscle, I know very well what that should feel like.

Well then, where is the line drawn between what my mind remembers and what my sensory neurons tell my mind at a given instance? Who's to say? That is exactly why this whole thing is a bit difficult to assess.

Sarah and I had a strange moment of feeling uneasy as we evaluated through a makeshift physical examination. At one point it looked like my leg moved (when in fact it was a silly combo of tight hips and pillow positioning), and both of us got this cringy look on our faces as though we had just eaten about 30 not-so-ripe lemons. I am not really sure why it is so distasteful to entertain the thought of me moving my legs and such; isn't this exactly why I am out here?

Change, in all forms, takes time I suppose.

0 comments:

Post a Comment